[icecast] [ANNOUNCE] pymp3cut

Jerome Alet alet at unice.fr
Thu Feb 7 16:17:36 UTC 2002

Hi there,

I'm pleased to announce the availability (CVS only for now) of pymp3cut.

pymp3cut is a GPLed Python command line tool designed to automatically cut
very big mp3 files according to a timeline, and postprocess each subfile
with any tool of your choice in a single run.

It's useful if you stream very long events (10 hours or so) like
congresses using IceCast and want to cut the big archives by
speaker afterwards.

Then all you have to do is create a text file of this format :

        speakername1		hh1:mm1:ss1
        *SKIP*			hhS:mmS:ssS
        speakername2		hh2:mm2:ss2

the hh:mm:ss above indicate the time at which each subpart ends in the
original big mp3 file.

the special *SKIP* keyword indicate a subpart which won't produce any
file: this subpart is just skipped, and pymp3cut will produce two files
named speakername1.mp3 and speakername2.mp3

pymp3cut cuts mp3 files fast, because it doesn't need to convert to an
intermediate (uncompressed) format, so it doesn't need huge quantities of
memory and/or disk space.

currently the automatic post-processing is not yet implemented, so you
should probably launch a tool like lame manually to erase the small
artifacts produced by pymp3cut, which doesn't cut on frame boundaries.

you can download pymp3cut from CVS only (I'll make a tarball soon) from :

        http://sourceforge.net/projects/pymp3cut/

Thanks to all of you here who have helped me in understanding how to do,
some times ago...

pymp3cut was successfully used so far to slice a two-days congress on a
per-speaker basis.

Comments or help are very welcome.

Jerome Alet