[icecast] Stuttering stream

Jack Moffitt jack at xiph.org
Wed Feb 6 16:51:24 UTC 2002

> Hi Jack. Why ices? Or, why not iceplay or shout?

iceplay had bad timing problems.  Perl just doesn't have fine grain
timing, at least not enough for our purposes.  It seemed to work fine at
128kbps most of the time.

It could probably be rewritten to be better, but I dunno if it could
ever be as good as the C code.

hout also had timing problems and these became quite apparent in later
versions.  It didn't support VBR either (nor did iceplay).

ices is built on libshout.  libshout should have perfect timing and it
also detects and discards corrupt frames and supports VBR streams.  It
is basically the _new_ version of shout.

jack.