[icecast] "Bind to socket failed"

Chris Parrinello chrisp at chrispy.net
Mon Feb 4 19:25:59 UTC 2002

LeDiva wrote:

> I'm running RedHat 7.2 (kernel 2.4.17) on a PII 300. I'm using Liveice
> with XMMS. I had no problem broadcasting with Shoutcast and Winamp back
> before I switched over to Linux. I'd love to get going on broadcasting...
> but Icecast refusing to open is a problem.
>
> Running icecast gives me the following.
>
> Starting thread engine...
> [04/Feb/2002:13:57:38] Icecast Version 1.3.10 Starting..
> [04/Feb/2002:13:57:38] Starting Admin Console Thread...
> -> [04/Feb/2002:13:57:38] Starting main connection handler...
> -> -> [04/Feb/2002:13:57:43] Bind to socket on port 8005 failed. Shutting
> down now.

  listening on port 8005. Make sure there isn't another icecast running
(ps -aux | grep icecast) with the same configuration.

Failing that, try a netstat -a and see if any programs are listening at
port 8005. If there is one listening, you'll see an entry that looks
like this:

tcp        0      0 *:8005                  *:*              LISTEN

If this is the case, there is another program using the same port. You
might want to try another port instead of 8005.

Another thing to check is to make sure that if you have hostname defined
in your icecast.conf file that it is a valid hostname. In other words,
if you have hostname defined as 198.162.1.1, that has to be a valid IP
address for one of your network interfaces. That would probably also
result in icecast failing to bind to the listen address.

Chris