[Re: [icecast] icecast2 ??]

Emmett Plant emmettfish at mac.com
Mon Dec 30 16:18:02 UTC 2002

On 12/30/02 10:59 AM, "Aaron Gaudio" <prothonotar at tarnation.dyndns.org>
wrote:

> Behold, gtgbr at gmx.net hath decreed:
>>
>> http://www.xiph.org/about.html
>
> Note also the paragraph at http://www.xiph.org/ :
>
> "Xiph.Org Foundation is a non-profit corporation dedicated to protecting the
> foundations of Internet multimedia from control by private interests. Our
> purpose is to support and develop free, open protocols and software to serve
> the public, developer and business markets."
>
> Well, wrt the icecast project (version 1,2 or N), if Xiph.Org is truly
> interested in supporting and development of "free, open protocols and software
> to serve the public, developer and business markets", then they better
> clean up the icecast.org webpage to have some recent info, stop calling
> icecast1 obsolete when icecast2 is not yet released (not counting alpha
> releases)- even if no one is actively working on it- and stop taking an
> extremely condescending view upon all those who dare offer up criticism.

We are truly interested in doing those things. We are working on it. The
website issues *will* be resolved soon. I would think that we'd have at
least a little leeway in this. If this issue is really worth getting this
worked up about, I will happily refund your license fees.

> *If*, however, those in charge of the icecast project aren't really interested
> in those things, then perhaps they should either (a) not be a part of Xiph.Org
> or (b) get Xiph.Org to change their mission statement. I doubt that's the
> case,
> my guess is there is just a few developers who want to work on icecast2, and
> don't want to be bothered with other details, which is why projects like this
> have maintainers who aren't necessarily the core developers, but rather
> oversee the project from all angles including development, bug-tracking,
> web-presence, media, etc. Is this what is missing? Will somebody admit to it?

It would be really nice if you could try a little bit of civility here. Our
sysadmin works as a volunteer. Our webmaster works as a volunteer. The
Icecast maintainer, surprise, a volunteer. The system that you're arguing
about is entirely volunteer-driven, okay?

You want an admission? Here goes. Yes, the website is completely horrible
and needs to be updated. Yes, we could use more people to help out. Yes, if
you step forward to help out we'll make every effort imaginable to make it
easy for you to do so. Yes, things have gone ignored for far too long.

But yes, we're interested in fixing it.

Can we put down the pig vat of vitriol and discuss this as human beings,
instead of in a screaming bitchfight? Thanks. Let me know what you need me
to do.

Emmett Plant
CEO, Xiph.org Foundation