[Re: [icecast] icecast2 ??]

Aaron Gaudio prothonotar at tarnation.dyndns.org
Sun Dec 29 01:14:57 UTC 2002

Behold, gtgbr at gmx.net hath decreed:
> Aaron Gaudio wrote:
> > the current stable version. Those who are willing to give up the
> > features not yet implemented in icecast2 in order to stream vorbis, can
> > use the devel version. Those who don't need to stream vorbis can
> > continue using the stable version. There is not a good rationality for
>
> Icecast2 is a rewrite and no new version of Icecast1.

It's icecast. It's part of xiph. It's the same project. Presumably it's
the same developers. I don't care about the similarity of the code
bases. One is released, the other one is not (alpha versions are not
releases).

> Icecast1
> developement is no more. Icecast 1.3.12 also exists only because of a
> serious security issue - without that, this version wouldn't exist.

Maybe that's the case. If so, it's a sad state of affairs. If there just
aren't volunteers to work on maintaining icecast1 (bugfixes, etc.)
then why don't we get a call for help asking for developers who
are willing to maintain it-- instead of silence and disdain? If it's
simply a lack of volunteers, that's understandable, but then why the
apathy toward all things icecast1, since presumably that's still what
the majority of icecast users are using. Or are you just saying
"fuck the users; if you can't code for us we don't need you; go read
the Cathedral and the Bazaar and shut up"? If that's the case, then
someone ought to go put that on the webpage and stop beating around
the bush. Let the user base know where they stand, and see how many
new volunteers you get for the project.

prothonotar at tarnation.dyndns.org
"Every man is a mob, a chain gang of idiots."
                           - Jonathan Nolan, /Momento Mori/