[Re: [icecast] icecast2 ??]

Dale Ghent daleg at elemental.org
Sat Dec 28 17:47:29 UTC 2002

On Sat, 28 Dec 2002, Geoff Shang wrote:

| IMHO, the fact that icecast 1.x only supports MP3 and not ogg vorbis makes
| it obsolete.

Thanks for, in effect, telling the people who still reply on icecast1
 that they're useless.

As that would make us put a lot of faith in icecast 2.

You people need to get over your "If it isnt ogg, it's shit" mentality.
Ogg itself is barely a few months old, and the Vorbis people seems to
think that since then, EVERYONE has re-encoded their massive MP3 archives
into Ogg. It makes me wonder what the color of the sky is in their
universe.

I'll put forth a theory here for everyone to chew on:

Broadcasters wont convert their content to Ogg because the streaming
server (icecast2) it goes through currently fails to support the features
they are used to. And who would pin their operation on alpha-level code
where on average the last commit was 5-6 MONTHS ago!?

Vorbis has actually abandoned TWO things here: Their Icecast 1.x users,
and the icecast 2 project. At least, that's the impression once can gain
from just looking in from the outside.

Perhaps instead of asking for people to write docs, Vorbis should be
asking for vollunteers who actually care. I care, that's why I wrote this.

/dale