[icecast] streaming both mp3 and ogg

gtgbr at gmx.net gtgbr at gmx.net
Fri Dec 20 14:36:28 UTC 2002

Rakotomandimby Mihamina wrote:
> hi all I use ices0.2.3/icecast1.3.12 on a linux box.
> I stream mp3 .
> I would like to make my listeners to discover ogg .
> My tracks are all in mp3 format.
> i reencode from 128/96 kbs and 44100Hz => 16kbs and 11kHz ( mp3 )
> Is it possible , ( if yes tell me how ) to feed icecast with both mp3
> and ogg stream , at different mount points  .

You need to use Icecast2 for that. I forgot where Mike's distribution
tarballs et al for 2.0alpha are, but the CVS checkout procedure on
http://www.xiph.org/cvs.html isn't hard either. You'd want to checkout
the 'icecast' module. Don't use the icecast.org CVS repository, it's way
outdated.

> how to configure ices to play ogg ? i know i'll have to run 2 different
> ices so how to manage ? by indicating in the command line the conf_file
> to read for each launched ices ?

You need Ices2 for that. Same game like for Icecast2, except that the
modules you should check out and install are 'libshout' and 'ices' (in
that order), both from Xiph.org CVS. Like this:

$ cvs -d :pserver:anoncvs at xiph.org:/usr/local/cvsroot login
Logging in to :pserver:anoncvs at xiph.org:2401/usr/local/cvsroot
CVS password:
$ cvs -d :pserver:anoncvs at xiph.org:/usr/local/cvsroot co libshout ices
[...]

The password is "anoncvs", without the quotes. You can add "icecast"
(also w/o quotes) to the line with the 'co' to get everything with one
command - I just didn't put it in because of the 72 chars linewrapping
in the mail.

> As well as my tracks are mp3 , is it necesary to have the same track
> both in mp3 AND ogg ???? or is it possible to encode to ogg on the fly
> and feed icecast ?

The re-encoding stuff is possible, but note that this takes a lot of CPU
power. Your box might not be fast enough to do both at the same time.
You might have to do the encoding stuff on a separate, fast computer.
You don't have to mind Icecast2 itself, it takes only very little for
what it does.