[icecast] icecast2/ices2 , 7o minutes and crash

Adon Irani adon at YorkU.CA
Wed Dec 11 21:04:35 UTC 2002

> On Wed, 2002-12-11 at 19:50, Adon Irani wrote:
> >
> >  hello .,
> >
> > i've got icecast2/ices2 (libshout/libao ) compiled/running from cvs .

> This sound like some instability of the kernel/X/hardware rather than
> ices/icecast.  If by tty's you mean the console then they can switch

> I would check the system logs (/var/log/messages) first for panic
> messages, make sure you have decent cooling for fast processors.

i still have to check my cooling , but the /var/log/messages is clear/no
panics .

> Running something like ices (or any streamer) involves constant CPU use
> so heat could be a factor.

according to the WHOWATCH util my cpu load was marginal (<.1 ) , i wonder
if this is only for those connected users . ( i'll look into this ) .

> Make sure you have a recent kernel for recent hardware, there are always
> some subtle bugs that need to be sorted.  The newer athlons for instance
> need some tweaks for reliability as some BIOSes don't program them
> correctly (the usual problem).

originally i had 2.4 , but i was having many problems and had read a few
reports of icecast breaking w/ the upgrade . so on this attempt , i went
w/ 2.2 .. but i'll go back to 2.4 now .

> Other things to check could be the alsa drivers, check against OSS and
> any other recent alsa driver package (www.alsa-project.org).  The X
> server can be eliminated by stopping the server (init 3) and just run
> ices off the console.

X is not installed .. and for the alsa, i've used the debian packages .
but i'll find the most recent and try those for tests sakes .

> If it still happens then just check what happens to the processes over
> that period of time.  vmstat 1 is usually good.

i expected it would, and i got your msg just in time . about 75 mins in
(almost exactly the length of the last run ) it crashed . but the vmstat 1
output is uneventful ..

final entry > 1 0 0	0 321884 154192 22228	0 0 0 0	130 92 5 0 95

oldest,
n-22 er so >  0 0 0	0 304608 154192 22228	0 0 0 0	124 81 19 0 81

(i'll have to look into what the us register is , this is the only
variable in flux 19,20,32,5,5,23,22,3,5...5 .  and the jump in free
memory , only the last 3 lines are 321884 , the rest are +/- 4k off 304608
).

hair out (just yet .. er, again !:)

 a:/,