[icecast] icecast on port 80 NOT as root

Moritz Grimm gtgbr at gmx.net
Thu Aug 22 19:13:58 UTC 2002

Bryan Jay Miller wrote:
> One question. The <changeowner><user><group> settings are self
> explanatory but what about the <chroot> directive. The value in the
> default icecast.xml is 0. Does it take an absolute path or boolean value
> and then use <basedir> as the chroot value?

It's either 0 or 1, while 1 chroot()s to <basedir>. Note that <logdir>'s
and <webroot>'s / are now <basedir> (e.g. you'd have to change
chroot() and <basedir> is /var/icecast). Btw, chroot()ing and changing
UID and GUI are new features, no wonder you have "overlooked" it. :)

P.S.: While installing Icecast2 myself once again today, I noticed that
the current reference icecast.xml lacks the new <icelogin> directive,
which also can be either 0 or 1, and is 0 by default. If you want to use
a source client that doesn't support http basic auth yet, like Oddcast
DSP RC5, you have to add <icelogin>1</icelogin> somewhere within the
<icecast> directive.