[icecast] icecast on port 80 NOT as root

Moritz Grimm gtgbr at gmx.net
Wed Aug 21 07:40:49 UTC 2002

Bryan Jay Miller wrote:
> This may seem simple but I've looked all over and come up with nothing.
> I'm interested in running Icecast 1.3.12 on port 80 to get around the
> firewall issue. Obviously it's not prudent to run Icecast at root so I'm
> wondering is there any way to safely run Icecast on port 80 using either
> setuid or port redirection? Has anyone accomplished this and if so,
> how'd you do it?

Alternatively, you can try out and help to test current CVS' Icecast2
(use the Xiph repository, www.xiph.html/cvs.html, module "icecast"),
which now supports changing its UID and GID as well as running from
within a chroot() jail. I guess being able to bind to privileged ports
and change identity afterwards is also an intended way of doing things
with these features.