[icecast] A quick hack...

Tim Pozar pozar at lns.com
Mon Aug 19 21:48:25 UTC 2002

I wanted an MP3 player with some intelligence so I wrote a perl
script called "playmp3s.pl" (creative name huh?).  It will will
semi-randomly play back MP3 files. You can tell the script not to
duplicate artist or cut title for any length of time in recent
history.  Who wants to hear ABBA more than once a day?

playmp3s also creates a web page of last played. An example of this
script can be seen at http://www.lns.com/current.html.

The script can also do things like read the news at the top of the
hour, back announce the cuts played since the last "break" and do
"time checks" via the text to speech program called "Festival" from
the University of Edinburgh (http://www.cstr.ed.ac.uk/projects/festival/).

The script also requires the UNIX "date" program for knowing what
time it is and "wc" for counting number of lines in a file such as
how many MP3 files in a playlist. It also depends on qmp3info to
give data about an MP3 file. "qmp3info" is part of the Quelcom
toolset from http://www.etse.urv.es/~dmanye/quelcom/quelcom.html.

The next step is to get all of the programs that make noise like
MPG123 and Festival send to STDOUT so I can get this puppy to stream
to an ICECAST relay.

If folks want to take it for a spin, they can find it at:

        http://www.lns.com/papers/playmp3s/

Tim