[icecast] In need of a Streaming solution

Philip White pwhite at mailhaven.com
Tue Aug 13 19:43:21 UTC 2002

On Mon, Aug 26, 2002 at 01:37:48PM -0400, Kenny Olano wrote:
> Hello
> 	My company is looking for a mp3 streaming solution for a client.  We will
> have an online catalog of music for people to listen to.  Our client only
> wants the user to be able to listen to the music and not download it. Is
> this possible using icecast?  Does icecast support requests?  If icecast is
> not the solution I need, can someone point me into the right direction for
> mp3 streaming per requests?

        This cannot be accomplished, as the user can save anything that they can hear by changing the output from speakers to the hard drive (creating a PCM file).  It's like trying to create a webpage that someone can view but not save -- once it's on the client, the user can do anything they want with it.

                                                -- Philip.

--
Philip M. White
Houston, TX; U.S.A.