[icecast] ices reencoding problem

Alan Bushnell bushnell at cs.oberlin.edu
Sat Aug 3 22:35:32 UTC 2002

Hi,

I'm having trouble getting ices 0.2.3 to reencode MPEG-2 LSF mp3s, the
files are playing back around twice as fast as they are supposed to, ie
the "chipmunk effect".  I'm not encoding the originals but I've tried
encoding them with lame to the same effect which causes me to believe
the problem is with ices' decoding.  The source files are of varying
bitrates and I've tried many different combinations of command line
options and the behavior is always the same.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Here's a command line that I've used with the output of -v:

/usr/local/icecast/bin/ices -v -h foo.com -P xxxx -b 16 -R -N 1 -m test
-F playlist

DEBUG: Sending following information to libshout:
DEBUG: Stream: 0
DEBUG: Host 	foo.com	Port: 8000
DEBUG: Password: xxxxxx		Icy Compat: 0
DEBUG: Name: Default stream name	URL: http://www.icecast.org/
DEBUG: Genre: Default genre	Desc: Default description
DEBUG: Bitrate: 16	Public: 1
DEBUG: Mount: ottotest	Dumpfile: (null)
Logfile opened
DEBUG: Initializing playlist handler...
DEBUG: Initializing builting playlist handler...
DEBUG: Using LAME version 3.92

Mounted on http://216.10.241.7:8000/test
DEBUG: Builtin playlist handler serving:
encuentro_jovenes_aborigenes-ruperta_p_rez.mp3
DEBUG: ID3v1 song:
DEBUG: ID3v1 artist:
DEBUG: Layer: III		Version: MPEG-2 LSF	Frequency: 22050
DEBUG: Bitrate: 64 kbit/s	Padding: 1	Mode: single-ch
DEBUG: Ext: 0	Mode_Ext: 0	Copyright: 0	Original: 0
DEBUG: Error Protection: 0	Emphasis: 0	Stereo: 1
Playing encuentro_jovenes_aborigenes-ruperta_p_rez.mp3
DEBUG: Initially delaying metadata update...
DEBUG: Filename cleaned up from
[encuentro_jovenes_aborigenes-ruperta_p_rez.mp3] to
[encuentro_jovenes_aborigenes-ruperta_p_rez]
DEBUG: Updated metadata on ottotest to:
encuentro_jovenes_aborigenes-ruperta_p_rez

thanks
alan