[icecast] pre-buffering

oddsock oddsock at oddsock.org
Fri Apr 12 13:54:47 UTC 2002

At 12:14 AM 4/12/2002 -0500, you wrote:
> > > Is it true ? And if it is, is there any way to change that behavior ?
> >
> > Yes.  Icecast always sends data at the data rate.  This behavior will
> > not change in the 1.3.x branch.  We will however try and make
> > prebuffering as fast as possible in 2.x (it's currently done the same
> > way, but we plan to add this feature).
how about if you add the ability to send out a static file when the client
first connects....something on the order
of "You are listening to blah blah blah..."...When a client connects you
could fill up (depending on the length of the
file) most of the client buffer (on the icecast2 side) with the static
file, and might eliminate the prebuffering....

it might be easier (and more desirable) to implement then server-side
buffering...

ure, you'd still have to wait to get to the actual stream, but you would
get *something* quickly...

does this make sense ?

oddsock