[icecast] ices 0.2.2 and Mac OS X 10.1?

Bryant Durrell durrell at innocence.com
Sat Apr 6 06:44:26 UTC 2002

I've having trouble getting ices to compile under MacOS X.  Mac OS has a
somewhat novel threads implementation (I'm being polite, here) and it
doesn't get along well with the threads in ices -- has anyone gotten it
to compile under MacOS X?

Initial errors:

Making all in thread
cc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.. -I../avl -I../log  -g -pipe -pipe -fno-common -no-cpp-precomp -flat_namespace -DHAS_TELLDIR_PROTOTYPE -fno-strict-aliasing  -I/System/Library/Perl/darwin/CORE  -I/usr/local/include/libxml2/libxml -I/usr/local/include/libxml2  -g -O2 -Wall -c thread.c
In file included from thread.c:40:
thread.h:48: conflicting types for `thread_t'
/usr/include/mach/mach_types.h:98: previous declaration of `thread_t'
thread.c: In function `_block_signals':
thread.c:184: warning: implicit declaration of function `pthread_sigmask'
thread.c: At top level:
thread.c:70: warning: `_next_mutex_id' defined but not used
make[2]: *** [thread.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make: *** [all-recursive-am] Error 2

I dug in and renamed thread_t in the ices code, and added:

#define pthread_sigmask(A,B,C) sigprocmask((A),(B),(C))

to thread/thread.h on the advice of some notes on one of the Darwin lists.
It'll compile now, but dumps core right after startup:

[justice:/usr/local/icecast] root# bin/ices -c etc/ices.conf
DEBUG: Sending following information to libshout:
DEBUG: Stream: 0
DEBUG: Host: localhost  Port: 8000
DEBUG: Password: notreallymypasswordsorry Icy Compat: 0
DEBUG: Name: Cool ices default name from XML    URL: Cool ices URL from XML
DEBUG: Genre: Cool ices genre from XML  Desc: Cool ices description from XML
DEBUG: Bitrate: 128     Public: 1
DEBUG: Mount: default   Dumpfile: (null)
Logfile opened
DEBUG: Initializing playlist handler...
DEBUG: Initializing builting playlist handler...
Mounted on http://127.0.0.1:8000/default
DEBUG: Builtin playlist handler serving: /MP3s/Albums/Big Star/Live At Missouri University 4:25:93/01 In The Street.mp3
DEBUG: ID3v2 tag size is 2183 bytes
DEBUG: Skipping to MP3 data
DEBUG: Layer: III               Version: MPEG-1 Frequency: 44100
DEBUG: Bitrate: 128 kbit/s      Padding: 1      Mode: j-stereo
DEBUG: Ext: 0   Mode_Ext: 0     Copyright: 0    Original: 0
DEBUG: Error Protection: 0      Emphasis: 0     Stereo: 2
Playing /MP3s/Albums/Big Star/Live At Missouri University 4:25:93/01 In The Street.mp3
DEBUG: Initially delaying metadata update...
Bus error

(The icecast logs show icecast accepting the connection, and then the
connection times out, so it's clearly an ices issue.)

--
        Bryant Durrell [] http://www.innocence.com/~durrell [] 9/11/2001