[icecast] Simple streamer help

John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Mon Apr 1 19:42:09 UTC 2002

Hi --

I am trying to add limited streaming capability to an existing mp3 setup
I'm running for internal use at my house.

I'm using the "mp3sb" package with a php-based web front-end to pipe music
to my stereo; now I want to extend that so I can use the same web interface
to stream to computers in the house.  I don't want to run shout or another
streaming front-end (unless it can be invisible) as I already have a user
interface that provides database functions, playlists, etc. and I'm quite
happy with it.  All I want to do is hack the mp3sb server script to pass
the user-selected mp3 file to icecast rather than to mpg123.

So, what I'm looking for is guidance on the simplest way to stream an mp3
file into an icecast server.  What do I need to feed it, and how?  I'll be
working with a perl script that can provide the song's title, file
location, genre, etc., and I'm sure I can hack it to pass the actual mp3
bitstream to icecast if that's needed.

I hope this description makes sense.  Can anyone guide me in how to
accomplish this?

Thanks,

John Ackermann
jra at febo.com