[icecast] a new directory service

Jack Moffitt jack at xiph.org
Mon Sep 17 15:40:52 UTC 2001

> What if we split the difference here? We could have the bitrate field stay
> as a number, but what if the directory server was smart enough to group
> bitrates under "Modem", "DSL", etc. headings? This way you'd keep the
> bitrate field showing, but still be able to search for the streams
> appropriate for your connection speed.

Remember that I've described low level storage values that will be in
the database, not how these values will be presented to users.
Certainly grouping bitrates as you say is the better way to present the
info to users.

I'm also going to try to have a 'speed tester' available so that people
who have no idea what they are doing can at least have an easy way to
figure out what they can handle.

jack.