[icecast] Dynamic playlist support

Sujal Shah sshah at progress.com
Fri Sep 14 19:08:20 UTC 2001

Jack Moffitt wrote:
>>If I do this publicly, I've already researched the royalty situation,
>>etc.  It's not all that complicated in that regard... radio stations
>>already allow callin shows.  This is just a variation.

Wow, this must have just happened in the last 12 months (I last looked
into this about a year ago).

Can you point out a URL to the info.  Actually, not really the info, but
any opinions regarding this from artists, radio stations, mailing list
discussions, etc.  I'm sure the RIAA has a page or two up about this,
but it's probably devoid of reasoning, etc.

Thanks for the heads up.

Sujal

> Online radio is COMPLETELY DIFFERENT than on-the-air radio.  You MUST
> follow the RIAA guidelines for non-interactive broadcasts for online
> radio, and you do not have to follow these for on-the-air radio.
>
> This isn't a simple variation.  There are completely different rules.
>
> For instance, if you fulfill a request, it must be ONE HOUR after the
> requrest was made (I _think_).  Not to mention the normal 'can't play y
> songs by z in x hours' stuff still applies.
>
> Even the companies that simply let users Fast Forward were getting sued
> by the RIAA.
>
> It's a dumb set of rules, a dumb law, and the RIAA is doing a disservice
> to artists (especially non-major-label artists) by imposing these rules.
> Unfortunately, it's a law, and until we get rid of it, we're fucked.
>
> jack.

---- Sujal Shah --- sujal at sujal.net ---

         http://www.sujal.net

Now Playing: Billy Joel - New York State of Mind (sujal)