[icecast] Ices memory leak?

Ben Wilson ben at thelocust.org
Mon Sep 10 20:03:52 UTC 2001

I've never had a problem with memory use and ices, though your 4-5 hour
crash problem is most likely the fault of the mpg library, as it will
choke on bad frames within an MP3, or if there is a "possible id3v2"
header, causing ices to crash.  There is a handy app called mp3_check that
checks for such things.

http://freshmeat.net/projects/mp3_check/

i have written a python script to recursively look through a directory of
MP3s and find the baddies in the stack. it is attached. it uses mp3_check,
so go and get it.

to find the last file that ices attempted to play, just "tail
/tmp/ices.log.xxx" where xxx is the pid ("cat /tmp/ices.pid")

.oOo.oOo.o..o.oOo.oOo.
      Ben Wilson
admin -- thelocust.org
  ben at thelocust.org