[icecast] newbie q: mime type?

Geoff Shang gshang at uq.net.au
Thu Oct 11 02:31:13 UTC 2001

On Wed, 10 Oct 2001, Jon Drukman wrote:

> ok this has to be FAQ #1 but it's not in my FAQ file...
>
> how do i get it so going to my server (http://pretension.com:8000/) starts
> an mp3 player streaming instead of opening up a 51M download window?

You don't. It doesn't work like that.  The browser won't launch an app
until the given file is downloaded which, for a live stream, will never
happen.  What you have to do is to use an M3U or PLS file (M3U is more
widely supported) containing the above URL.  When clicked on, this file
will be downloaded and passed off to your MP3 player.  Example:

<A HREF="stream.m3u">click here to listen</A>

tream.m3u contains your http://pretension.com:8000/ address.  When someone
clicks on the link, stream.m3u is downloaded and then opened by their MP3
player.  the player reads the URL and starts streaming that content.

Yes, this does need to be in the FAQ as it's an extremely common question.

Geoff.