[icecast] DarkIce and archiving things

Akos Maroy darkeye at tyrell.hu
Tue Oct 9 05:59:03 UTC 2001

Samuel Hathaway wrote:

> Hello,
>
> After solving my previous problem with DarkIce, I have another question.
> I'm streaming for a radio station, and we want to archive our shows. I'm
> writing a little script that talks to our schedule database and "rotates"
> mp3 files much the same way one might rotate syslog. My problem is,
> DarkIce only lets you specify a /remote/ file to save, not a /local/ file.
> I know I can have icecast save a "log" of the stream, but then there's
> additional lag. Any ideas? Currently, I've written my own streamer in
> perl, but it's kinda flaky.

I use the remoteDumpFile feature of icecast to archive our radio. I
start DarkIce every 4 hours for a 4 hour period, and have a different
remote dump file for each of these per day. So I have 6 different remote
dump files in total, one from midnight to 4 am, one from 4 am to 8, etc.

I also have a script on the server machine which cuts these dump files
into half-our pieces using dd, at every :02 and :32. This way I get the
archive of the live broadcast with a half hour lag, and in half hour
resolutions (remember, there is no fast-forward capability in xmms or
other mp3 streaming clients).

The reason I didn't put a local dump feature into DarkIce is that in an
optimal setup, the server and the encoder is a different machine, with
only the server visible on the net. So you'd have to copy the archive
from the encoder's local dump to the server, in effect doubling the
network load between them (as the same thing gets streamed once, than
copied a second time). Also, as the server dumps real time, the lag is
the same with a local dump and an icecast dump.

Akos