[icecast] reencode scripts if anyone is interested

Jeffrey Noll jeff at taveren.ne.mediaone.net
Thu May 31 10:41:46 UTC 2001

    I decided to make a few shell scripts that can be used to connect to
icecast, decode/reencode a stream, and then send the result back to icecast.

    I guess this can be done with liveice, but this seemed like a simpler
solution for my needs. I have it triggered by a cgi script that i click on
when at work and want to listen to my tunes at a lower, more reliable
bitrate.

There are basically three scripts:
    reencode.sh:    main start/stop script. ala rc.d style
    receive.sh:        connects to icecast server stream, pipes to lame, and
pipes to fifo file
    send.sh:            reads data from fifo and sends back to icecast
server

The only dependencies are a fairly new version of lame (with mpg123 lib
decode ability) and
nc (netcat).

I've only been using this a day or so, so its probably not perfect, but it
very easy to get running and turn on and off.

Cheers.

<HR NOSHADE>
<UL>
<LI>application/octet-stream attachment: defs.sh
</UL>