[icecast] Problems streaming high bitrate over a LAN

Kelly Lee Myers k_myers at kyxpyx.com
Mon May 28 09:36:43 UTC 2001

Actually, there may be a way to do it.

try this. fire up icecast, and then connect your clients. Then, once the
clients are connected, start streaming data to the server using ices or
shout or whatever. Once data comes into the buffer of the server, it should
start feeding any clients connected to it starting from the first data chunk
the server gets from the source. It is not going to be "dead on" but it will
come close to maybe under 3 seconds difference depending on where the
clients are connecting from (if its over a LAN this may work nicely) but if
it is separate network connections, well, you are going to have to take your
chances.

Now if there was timecode (SMTPE) embedded into the metadata of the stream,
you could probably get something going client side to match things up.
Thoughts??

Lithium