[icecast] Problem with Streams > 160KBit/s

Jack Moffitt jack at icecast.org
Thu May 3 22:06:49 UTC 2001

> does anybody set up an icecast server delivering streams > 160KBit/s ?
> I tried that with liveice and shout but in both cases the stream stutters
> very much. So, I have eliminated the Net (stream to localhost), the CPU
> (P3/800 should be fast enough), and lame (can encode 320kBit/s 3 times
> faster then the wav has secs). So the Problem should be icecast.
>
> can anybody please enlight me?

Icecast can handle high bitrate streams.  So can libshout.

Your mileage on ices, shout, and liveice may vary, but if you write code
around libshout, it will work, as I tested libshout with 192kbps files
for days.

if you are using liveice, your problems might be related to processor
usage.  And if you're on a slow machine (read, sub-pentium-2) that might
also be the case with any of the tools.

jack.