[icecast] Creating a client

Jack Moffitt jack at icecast.org
Tue Mar 27 17:18:46 UTC 2001

> Some months ago I made a simple client (in Java) but was not able to get a reliable glitch free
> stream and it would only play for a minute or two before the Icecast server would dump the stream
> with the 'too many errors' complaint.

It's entirely possible that java wasn't fast enough and you weren't in
fact able to keep up with the stream.  You might want to try with a
lower bitrate or a different JIT.

> Are there guidelines (suggestions) for buffer sizes in relation to bit rates etc.?

I think most people have a default 64k buffer size, and they prebuffer
from 25% to 50% of it.  Each client is probably slightly different. The
more prebuffer you have, the more resilient you are going to be when
there are data flow problems, but of course, you'll have to wait longer
for the stream to start.

> BTW: The aim here is to create a hardware client on a dsp for icecast.

That would be interesting to see :)

jack.