[icecast] x-audiocast etc.

Asymmetric all at biosys.net
Tue Mar 13 02:03:55 UTC 2001

Hmm.. just switched back to icecast hoping that 1.3.9 would have fixed some
of the bugs I was running into, such as icecast gobbling up more and more
memory until it would tank around 200M or so (in a box with 256) if left
running a few days, and got some general questions for anyone in-the-know. ;)

1. Is there a definitive list of what players on what platforms support the
x-audiocast headers?  On windows I've tried winamp, freeamp, and sonique..
none of them display the currently playing song title, although icecast is
getting it just fine.  Sonique even displayes the "Genre" header
correctly.. just not the song title.  I'm sourcing from winamp 2.72,
Shoutcast Source DSP 1.8.0.

2. Is the icy header hack for song titles going to be fixed any time soon,
or ever?  Virtues of x-audiocast aside, I'd like to see some kind of
backwards compatibility.. when sc_serv is the server, it manages to stream
the titles to the players fine.. whenever I enable this stuff in icecast,
the playback goes totally berserk.. screeching, hissing, popping, and
generally going out of sync all over the place.

-------signature file-------
PGP Key Fingerprint:
446B 7718 B219 9F1E 43DD  8E4A 6BE9 D739 CCC5 7FD7

"I don't think [Linux] will be very successful in the long run."
"My experience and some of my friends' experience is that Linux is quite
unreliable. Microsoft is really unreliable but Linux is worse."
-Ken Thompson, Interview May 1999.

http://www.freebsd.org
FreeBSD - The Power to Serve

http://www.rfnj.org