[icecast] liveice Question

David Parker david at neongoat.com
Tue Mar 13 00:17:33 UTC 2001

> You'll probably also want to come up with some kind of keepalive. A
problem
> with that is that liveice can lose connection with the server, and in fact
> stop encoding, but still show up as a running process (as will lame).  I
> have a keepalive that polls the Icecast (or Shoutcast) server as to
whether
> *it* thinks the stream is connected and then (important) kills all icecast
> *and* lame processes and restarts.  Seems to work better than anything
else
> I've come up with, though I'm sure there are more elegant solutions.

I cooked up this little script about a week ago due to sudden network
problems (before then, liveice was transmitting to a non-local icecast
server without any problem for months at a time). It runs once a minute from
cron. Hopefully this will be a helpful example. Once I find the time,
probably in a couple weeks, I think I'm going to work on the lightweight
liveice2.c posted a while back and make it more fault tolerant and have it
support streaming to multiple icecast servers (one for the intranet, one for
the internet).

David

-------
david at neongoat.com
www.neongoat.com
PGP Key ID/Fingerprint:
0xF90FFFE5 / F362 51F7 6D51 85EB AF68 75B9 D29B 1AFC F90F FFE5
-------

<HR NOSHADE>
<UL>
<LI>application/octet-stream attachment: liveice_watchdog.pl
</UL>