[icecast] beat, stereo in Liveice

Bryan Walls Bryan.Walls at msfc.nasa.gov
Thu Jun 28 20:38:56 UTC 2001

I compiled Liveice on Yellow Dog Linux 2.0 (Red Dog variant on
PowerPC (Macintosh) systems). I've noticed three things:

The config file is set up with the MONO key. And I also tried
launching with "-c 1". However, liveice shows the input format as 16
Bit, 22050 Hz Stereo. It also shows two input levels. Is it encoding
to a mono signal?

Input is 22050 Hz sampling, and I'm encoding at 24000 bps. I'm using
the same audio input that's going to a Mac running Mac OS 9.1 and
MacAmp at the same settings. The liveice version has a definite beat
artifact in the stream. Also, it causes my client to rebuffer
frequently, which doesn't happen with MacAmp. If the liveice version
is sending stereo, that would explain the rebuffering (twice the
bandwidth). Is the LAME encoder putting in the beat? How can I avoid
that?

--
Bryan Walls                             My words are not NASA policy.
Bryan.Walls at msfc.nasa.gov               (256)544-3311voice,544-7128fax