[icecast] liveice/lame problem

Bryan Walls Bryan.Walls at msfc.nasa.gov
Mon Jun 11 20:38:49 UTC 2001

I've set up Liveice on a Yellowdog Linux laptop (YDL 2.0). I'm trying
to stream to an icecast server on another YDL 2.0 system.

Streaming seems to be fine, but encoding is pure garbage. When I
listen to the stream, it basically sounds like white noise. The
intesity of the hum depends on the strength of the sound being
encoded, though. If I stop playing the CD, it drops to a  gentle hum,
turn it on I hear a loud one.

I'm assuming the problem is with lame encoding (so to speak). I'm
using LAME 3.7. I've tried encoding at several different speeds (bit
rate and encoding), and well as setting the -h switch, all with no
difference. Anyone else seen this? Suggestions?

--
Bryan Walls                             My words are not NASA policy.
Bryan.Walls at msfc.nasa.gov               (256)544-3311voice,544-7128fax