[icecast] [thomas at arkena.com: [vorbis] mp3pro and the mp3 streaming license]

Murray Nelson mnpicker at agt.net
Sat Jun 9 19:20:21 UTC 2001

Great Jack,. I read your article in Streaming Media Mag several months ago. I
new this was coming. Where do I start. I have been doing Shoutcast and
apparently AOL pays for the licensing but for how long. I would like to start
learning how to do icecast.
My server is FreeBSD. Where do I start?

Jack Moffitt wrote:

> Thomas,
>
> You should post this hear, as it's just as relevant ;)
>
> Hey guys, how do you feel now that you all owe Thompson $2k per year?
> Vorbis look more interesting now :)
>
> It's really disgusting how the technology is now worth more than the
> music.
>
> jack.
>
> ----- Forwarded message from Thomas Kirk <thomas at arkena.com> -----
>
> Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2001 11:58:23 +0200
> From: Thomas Kirk <thomas at arkena.com>
> To: vorbis at xiph.org
> Subject: [vorbis] mp3pro and the mp3 streaming license
>
> Fraunhofer and Thomson Multimedia release their new mp3pro codec
> and new  licenseconditions for streaming mp3 :
>
> http://www.techreview.com/web/kiang/kiang060701.asp
>
> My comment is that the licensecharge isnt frighting compared
> to what we broadcaster pays in musicroyalties allready. Is this
> what you feared jack? :)
>

> --
> Venlig hilsen/Kind regards
> Thomas Kirk
> ARKENA
> thomas at arkena.com
> http://www.arkena.com
>
> I'D LIKE TO BE BURIED INDIAN-STYLE, where they put you up on a high rack,
> above the ground.  That way, you could get hit by meteorites and not even
> feel it.
>                 -- Jack Handley, The New Mexican, 1988.
>
> --- >8 ----
>
> ----- End forwarded message -----
>
> --- >8 ----

Murray Nelson
mnpicker at agt.net ICQ # 53460269 Phone/FAX/Data (403)328-4261      (push 2 to
leave message)
#207 324 7 St South
Lethbridge Alberta Canada
T1J 2G2

Aardvark Recorders/Lost Lemon Records/Most Unusual Music (publishing)
Online AV content provider featuring AV streams of local live musicians.
http://www.localplayer.com

Guitar Instruction.
http://www.studio-lessons.com