[icecast] new maintainers

Brendan Cully brendan at kublai.com
Fri Jun 8 17:51:22 UTC 2001

On Friday, 08 June 2001 at 10:16, Scott Manley wrote:

> > It's a new word :)
>
> But not a new feature ;-)

No, sorry, didn't mean to imply that it was. I've been happily using
liveice for a while to do this. I'm moving to ices because I don't
need all the live DJ stuff, ices seems to use a lot less CPU, and the
playlist management is infinitely better in ices, since that is what
it was designed around. But liveice actually works pretty well for
me, my reasons are frankly moral rather than practical :)

> > I'm just making ices be able to reencode its playlist at multiple
> > bitrates at the same time, so you can broadcast the same stream for
> > broadband and POTS users.
> >
> > I've already got this working (and I've been listening to it for about
> > an hour and a half so far), but I'm not going to commit it until I've
> > inspected what my fingers have managed to code up.
>
> I hope you come up with a better configuration inteface than liveice
> uses for this... nobody ever understood it

what did they not understand? It seemed pretty straightforward to me,
so I'm not likely to know how to improve it :)

Ices configuration is in xml, I've just made it that you can have
multiple <ices:Stream> sections.

-Brendan