[icecast] Live Webcast in OGG

Simon Blandford home at simonb.org.uk
Wed Jun 6 19:04:02 UTC 2001

Hi,

Is it possible to stream live, as opposed to recorded, OGG format yet? I
had a look at the Icecast 2.0 beta instructions and it ends in a program
called "example" which will stream a pre-recorded OGG file to the
server. Is there anything to stream directly from the soundcard yet? If
not, is there anything in the pipeline?

If it is possible, what bitrates in mono/stereo are available. I am
currently using 24kbs MP3 stereo for sending two languages
simultaneously, one panned left and the other panned right. Obviously,
there are left-right crosstalk problems and some people with naff
modems/ISPs are not getting a reliable stream. This is the motivation to
move to a more efficient format, so I can reduce the bitrate. I expect
some crosstalk as long as it isn't too distracting.

Regards,
Simon.

P.S. Please add some news to the website. Anyone would think the project
died in Feburary!