[icecast] need help/ideas please, oh and answers

Kirk Reiser kirk at braille.uwo.ca
Fri Jun 1 17:46:10 UTC 2001

Hi Folks:  I have had need to write a streamer and scripts to stream
audio content on demand.  Basically a person browses through a
directory tree and selects a file to listen to at which point a stream
is created and pushed to the listener through the icecast server.

My questions start with is there anyway in the server to set a
variable to kill/terminate a source when it has no listener anymore? I
have sifted through the manual.html fairly well and don't see anything
which exactly relates to my need.  I am aware of the feature to kill a
relayed source when there are no more listeners.

If this feature isn't available would it be worth me or someone else
modifying icecast to provide the setting.  Is there any other way
people can think to accomplish the same result?  I have been
considering a script to grep through netstat and then kill the
streamer if it's listening socket is no longer connected but this
seems like a bit of a kludge.

Secondly, I wish this to eventually work with vorbis and was wondering
what mime type I should return for a .ogg stream?

I have many other questions but I think I will start with these.  If
anyone else is interested in this suite when I am finished, I will
happily make it available.

  Kirk

phone: (519) 661-3061