[icecast] Icecast Logging - Accurate?

Alexander Haväng eel at musiknet.se
Thu Jul 26 16:50:00 UTC 2001

> I'm seeing some discrepancy between our switch traffic logs and our Icecast
> logs in terms of total amount of data transferred. Our Icecast logs seem to
> be on the low side.

Icecast does som trivial accounting on the traffic sent and received.
This is the application data as reported by send() and recv(), which
is only one of the parts in the network traffic. On the other hand, it's
the only part an application can display without some serious magic
like dealing with pcap or something.

The other parts are:

* tcp headers
* ip headers
* tcp and ip resends
* ethernet collisions
* ethernet header

To get a _really_ good view on bandwidth-usage on a network, you
need a good tool like PacketLogic. :)
It'll cost you though :)

//Eel