[icecast] bit rate question

Sterling Anderson sterling at sterlinganderson.net
Tue Jul 3 20:06:48 UTC 2001

I am using Icecast and Shout to stream and people connecting are having
problems. Things start out great then the quality goes in the toilet and
the client gets disconnected. The server says something about the client
not keeping up with the stream (paraphrasing here) so it disconnected. I
was thinking I would lower the bit rate but was confused by the conf file.
If I tell it to stream at 64k will it stream at that rate even if the file
was encoded in 128k?
You can hear my stream at http://sterlinganderson.net:8000 to hear what I
mean.
Thanks.