MTU was: Re: [icecast] my icecast problem

Sean /The RIMBoy/ sean at rimboy.com
Wed Feb 28 19:17:18 UTC 2001

It is going to depend on a number of factors.  Linux sets (along with a
few other OS's I'm sure) its MTU to 1500.  The problem is, if you set it
longer then it will most likely be frag'd by your router.  If that router
does not, then another will.

I think MTU for ppp interfaces are smaller.

Likewise, if your backbone is FDDI, it has a large frame (somewhere in the
8000 range I believe is the default).

I'd give you some accurate numbers but the book is at home and I'm at
work. :(

To better answer your questions, it just depends.

--
A flute with no holes is not a flute.  A donut with no hole is a danish.
	--Chevy Chase, Caddyshack