[icecast] question about icecast & winamp & media player

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at urgent.rug.ac.be
Wed Feb 28 11:08:36 UTC 2001

Hi,

It's been pretty quiet as of late.

I have a question.

I have an icecast server housed at my provider with a very good internet
connection.

At work I'm using an ADSL line, which should be sufficient to listen to
the 128K streams I'm sending out.

However, when I listen with WinAmp, after about half an hour the stream
stutters and stops.  I can restart it and listen again but it will stop
again as well.  I don't think icecast is at fault here, but I wonder what
WinAmp is doing wrong ?

When I listen with Windows Media Player 7.0 (which seems to work with
mountpoints btw), it can play for up till an hour, at which point it
declares the stream has ended (how can it know) and stops playing.

Why the difference ? What's happening here ? How can I make media player
keep playing as well ?

thanks in advance,
thomas

Please put me somewhere near the sea
With one carrion angel waiting for me
who'll be holding my heart in it's hand
But most of all I'd like to go with a friend
<-*- thomas at apestaart.org -*->