[icecast] lots of icecast help needed

Asymmetric asym at rfnj.org
Wed Feb 28 10:22:57 UTC 2001

At 00:54 2/28/2001 -0600, you wrote:

>I found out what it was, and I'm quite embarrased that I've missed it for so
>long.  I had set the hostname setting in icecast.conf to a local IP (my
>icecast server is also a router with two IPs), thinking that this would only
>allow people from that local IP (and not on the outside) for attaching as a
>source.  (That's what the beginning of the hostname description says), but
>apparantly you need this hostname in order for yp to reply to you.  Doh.

Ahh.. that's not the problem with my 404's here, but I'll look into them
next. :)

>I am not getting any of these problems.  I guess libshout is much nicer to
>icecast.
>
>I can see how WinAmp is nice, but then you would need two computers for
>streaming audio when it could be achieved with only one computer.

That's true, but I don't mind.. I'm building another machine here out of
spare parts for just that purpose, so I can get the sourcing off my main
(win2k) workstation machine.. I like the gui too much for these kinds of
things, and I really can't stand X.. it's a bigger hack than nullsoft stuff. ;)

>You can get this information by parsing the stats.log, which is located in
>/usr/local/icecast/logs/stats.log

Ahh.. thanks for that bit of info.

A little bit of grep, a little bit of sed, and I've got my status back to
the way I want it. :)

>Now, is there a way to see the last 10 songs played?

I think you could do the same kind of thing I did.. use grep and sed to get
the song title from the stats file, and then "cat >> " it to the file you
want it in.. a tad bit more magic to chop the head off the file if it's 11
lines long after the addition, and you're in business.

>I am so happy I found this list.. There's no where else to go, really.

Yeah.. I don't pay a lot of attention to the list usually, but to be fair
it was down for a while and I kinda forgot it was even here.. ;)

Even so, it's a good place to come for help and stuff like that.  The guys
are really busy I guess, as far as answering emails goes.. and my one
inquiry on the irc channel (it was suggested I ask there in a response to
an email) gave me the answer "read the source." ;)  That was back when I
was deciphering the icy protocol.. I gave up on reading the icecast source,
it's documented about as poorly as the icy protocol itself, and just broke
out the sniffer and figured it out on my own.

-------signature file-------
PGP Key Fingerprint:
446B 7718 B219 9F1E 43DD  8E4A 6BE9 D739 CCC5 7FD7

"I don't think [Linux] will be very successful in the long run."
"My experience and some of my friends' experience is that Linux is quite
unreliable. Microsoft is really unreliable but Linux is worse."
-Ken Thompson, Interview May 1999.

http://www.freebsd.org
FreeBSD - The Power to Serve

http://www.rfnj.org