[icecast] directory servers and stuttering

Michael Faurot mfaurot at atww.org
Sun Feb 25 18:41:01 UTC 2001

I'm running Icecast v1.3.7 and I've recently noticed there's a direct
correlation between a stream "stuttering" and the icecast process
having difficulty contacting one or more directory servers.  In short,
if icecast can't connect to a directory server, then it tends to
affect the playback on the stream, such that clients will typically
get dropped with message such as "Too many errors (client not
receiving data fast enough)" in the logs.

One of the clients that gets dropped is connected locally over a 100M
switched network, so I don't really think it's having a problem
getting a 32K stream fast enough. :)

Would changing over to v1.3.8.beta2 resolve this?