[icecast] icecast "multicasting" ?

Mark Woodson mwoodson at bacxs.com
Wed Dec 26 02:55:57 UTC 2001

At 04:30 PM 12/25/2001 -0800, you wrote:
>Can icecast do something which I think is called "multicasting", i.e.
>can I use an icecast server to send audio streams to remote servers
>which the listeners would connect to?
>
>And if this can be done, what software does the "multicasting"?

"multicasting" is actually part of the of the tcp/ip suite.  Normally the
header for a packet specificies a single single destination and as I
understand it a multicast packet specifies multiple
destinations.  Unfortunately though the range of addresses that will accept
multicast is small.

A rather large list of links to documents about Multicast.
http://www.roads.lut.ac.uk/DS-Archive/MTP.html

There are quite a few documents out the concerning the multicast
protocols.  Some research might be in order:

http://www.google.com/search?q=multicast&btnG=Google+Search

A better solution would be to setup multiple servers at key locations
(perhaps something colocated in the UK and Australia).  Have a central
server that feeds streams to these two servers.

-Mark