[icecast] Icecast2 access problem

Moritz Grimm gtgbr at gmx.net
Mon Dec 3 23:20:10 UTC 2001

> http://66.149.8.8:8000/example1.ogg

I can connect, although listening to the stream is impossible. You're
streaming at ~130kbps and I *should* be able to listen to that stream
well, but it appears that you're upstream is totally overloaded. With
your current <clients>100</clients> setting you'd need a 15MBit upstream
to serve all those listeners at that quality. Reduce it to something
near (Upstream-~10%)/Bitrate if you plan to spend all your upstream on
icecast.

I found 32kbps/mono/44.1kHz to be a great low-bandwidth stream with
pretty good quality, btw. Unfortunately, it usually hovers around
42-48kbps which means that I can't serve more than 2 listeners reliably
with my 128kbps upstream. ;P

Moritz