[icecast] Error: Client not receiving data fast enough

Russ russ at essentialmix.ca
Sun Aug 5 16:40:48 UTC 2001

Hmmm, I am using Winamp for my client, will upgrade it, but it works for
other shoutcast/icecast streams.  There has to be something buggered up in
my config somewhere.  It sounds as if Ices is sending data too quickly to
icecast(?), will blow it away and re-complie it and see what happens.
Thanks for the help so far.

yeah, essentialmix.ca is directly related to the Essential mix broadcasts
off Radio1,  I am running an FTP server with all the 2001, most of
2000 and some 1999 essential mixes.  I am tired of trying to find them
online, so I figured I would setup a site :)

The idea with the icecast was to continuously stream all the mixes that
are on the ftp site.

-Russ

On Sun, 5 Aug 2001, Jack Moffitt wrote:

> Almost always this means that data is being sent to fast.  Ie, you're
> player must play at a certain rate, probably 44.1k samples per second.
> If icecast sends you data too fast, eventually you're buffer will fill
> up, causing the socket to block, causing errors.  They look the same as
> if the bandwidth between you and the server isn't good enough to
> maintain the connection, and in a sense, that's the case.  But instead
> of the network introducing blockage, your client is introducing it.
>
> You're only getting 26k of data, so I have to assume that this is not
> the problem.  26k of data isn't even enough to fill up your streaming
> buffer, unless you've gone off and set it at 0 bytes or something.
>
> What client are you using?  It might be that it's networking code is
> totally hosed.
>
> jack.
>
> ps. is essentialmix.ca connected with the essential mix cd's in stores?

-Russ
Essentialmix.ca