[icecast] one ices, 2 streams (high/low bitrate)

Brendan Cully brendan at kublai.com
Thu Apr 26 23:40:13 UTC 2001

Hi,

I'm looking into switching from liveice to ices. I like to provide the
same stream at two bitrates (56/24), which is simple from liveice. But
my initial impression is that you can't do this within ices?

Do you need to run two separate instances of ices with different
configurations? I'd like to run only one because:

1. only one mp3 decoder runs (saves CPU on my K6-3/450)
2. the streams are automatically synchronised - no confusion in my
   'now playing' display.
3. only one instance of my perl playlist module activated - no worries
   about locking problems, race conditions with database updates, or
   any complicated master/slave playlist module arrangements.

So, does anyone have any advice about running two streams (same
playlist) from one ices process?

Thanks,
Brendan