[icecast] iceS/Icecast Problems

conflict at blastfurnace.suppression.org conflict at blastfurnace.suppression.org
Wed Apr 25 17:12:23 UTC 2001

        Hello, I'm new to the list, just want to say thanks a head of time
to who ever can help me out with some streaming problems

Hareware/software:

Athlon 700
128megs of RAM
256megs swap
FreeBSD 4.2-RELEASE
100mbit connection
icecast 1.3.10
ices (beta)

My setup:

I am running 2 spawns of icecast and 2 spawns of ices.  one ices
process is reencoding to 24bit and the other to 128bit and both are being
streamed to the 2 icecast servers separatly.  Therefore, modem users
connect to port 8000 and get the low bandwidth stream and cable/dsl/etc
connect to port 9000 for high bandwidth.  Both streams are streaming
the same materical at the same time because one of the streams is
getting its playlist "on the fly" from the temp playlist the other
stream is creating.  The reason why I set it up this way was so both
streams would be listed in the yp directories and I also wasn't sure how
I could set it up using one ices and icecast process that will recode 2
differant bitrates and stream them at the same time.  (suggestions on how
to do this are more than welcome)

The problem:

Clients can connect fine and hear the stream,
yet some people report choppiness and chirpiness and some people hear it
fine.  The people that report the chirps and chops say usually they just
reconnect and it goes away, but they have to do this often.  Eventually,
the server will start kicking people off on its own and then eventually
ices will die all together.  That is why I believe the problem lies with
ices.  I have tried running the server with streaming titles both on and
off.  Same thing happens.  I have also heard that icecast/ices has
problems under FreeBSD and this behavior is typical with FBSD.  Can anyone
confirm or dispel that?

Here are the errors directly from my log file and console:

Streaming 2783104 bytes from file
/serve/ftp/mp3s/m/Menace-R.I.P._G.L.C/04_I_Need_Nothing.mp3
bitstream problem: resyncing...
Updated metadata on server to: Menace - I Need Nothing

-----------------

Updated metadata on server
to: 00-Charles_Bronson-Unanswered-Split_7''_[Unanswered_Insert]
strange error flushing buffer ...
Streaming 1298929 bytes from file
/serve/ftp/mp3s/d/Disrupt_&_Destroy_Split/Destroy-15-Childrens_Crusade.mp3

-----------------

[04/Mar/2001:02:17:30] [4:Source Thread] Kicking client 29
[dkno314A.knowles.umt.edu] [Too many errors (client not receiving data fa
st enough)] [listener], connected for 13 minutes and 49 seconds, 9695602
bytes transfered. 0 clients connected

-----------------

Streaming 5433334 bytes from file
/serve/ftp/mp3s/a/Anti-Nowhere_League-The_Best_of_ANL/13_On_The_Waterfront.mp3
Updated metadata on server to: 13_On_The_Waterfront
big_values too large!
mpg123: Can't rewind stream by 484 bits!
big_values too large!

-----------------

Warning: Encountered error while transfering
/serve/ftp/mp3s/s/Servotron-Entertainment_Program/07-Servotron-Phonetic_Lecture.mp3. [L
ibshout reported send error: Libshout socket error.]
Libshout communication problem, trying to reconnect to server
Warning: Encountered error while transfering
/serve/ftp/mp3s/d/Dropkick_Murphys-Oxymoron_Split_7''/Oxymoron-03-Faces_From_Below.mp3.
 [Libshout reported send error: Libshout socket error.]
Libshout communication problem, trying to reconnect to server
Failed reconnecting to server 127.0.0.1, error: 3
Ices Exiting...
Failed reconnecting to server 127.0.0.1, error: 3
Ices Exiting...

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Paul