[icecast] Simple directory question

Harry hhahn at gilman.dhs.org
Fri Apr 6 09:40:34 UTC 2001

>However, we've disappeared from yp.icecast.org as far as I can tell.
>
>Looking in the logfile, I see the following:-
>
>[03/Apr/2001:15:30:49]
>[1:Calendar Thread] directory_touch_xa([yp.icecast.org:80])
>completed...server id = 69
>Other info: I'm using streamcast

I've been meaning to follow up to a similar post I made a few weeks back, so this seems like a good time. I didn't get any definitive answers, but based on some responses, I did some digging.

It turns out, from what I can tell, streamcast doesn't send bitrate information. Here's the changes I made in the part of the code so that it does:

182c188,189
<                icy_compat      => 0,

---
>                icy_compat      => 1,
>                bitrate         => $bitrate,

This is for v0.8 as indicated at the top of streamcast.pl. Once I did this, all was well and icecast really started listing my stream!

And it gets even better: I had also inquired about getting listed at yp.shoutcast.com. With the change above, I went from this:

[yp.shoutcast.com:80]) failed... directory server error #3... (retry in 1325 seconds)

to this (which I expected):

([yp.shoutcast.com:80]) failed... directory server error #404... (retry in -1 seconds)

but subsequently, for reasons I can't explain, I then saw this:

([yp.shoutcast.com:80]) completed...server id = 4765964

and now I see regular directory touches completing succesfully.

So now I'm listed on yp.shoutcast.com as well. The increase in listeners has been dramatic (anything is dramatic from zero :) ). I'm afraid to restart the stream now, lest I lose the listing.

Anyway, you might try making the change to streamcast.pl mentioned above (I'm not completely sure about that icy_compat bit, but I'm not messin' with it). I'm guessing that'll clear up getting listed on yp.icecast.

I'd also like to make a general recommendation for streamcast, which isn't mentioned much on this list. Since moving from liveice to it (I had zero luck with ices), I've had nothing but smoothing sailing- it re-encodes, it stays up, is easy for me to hack (my perl is way better than my C, though that's not saying much), and has a nifty request mechanism that was simple for me to integrate into my website. There's also a version that integrates with a database (MySQL, if memory serves). If you're looking for a new streamer, you might want to check it out:

<http://streamcast.sourceforge.net/>

-Harry (just a happy user)