[icecast] Too many "too many errors"

Geoff Shang gshang at uq.net.au
Thu Apr 5 22:17:09 UTC 2001

Hi:

Ok, a couple of thoughts on the clients being kicked problem.  Firstly,
icecast waits a certain amount of time for a client's buffer to clear.
Well and good, except that the amount of time this takes will depend on the
format of the data.  For example, an 11khz stream will take longer to clear
than a 22khz stream as there is longer audio for the same amount of data.
This might be why tests of listening to higher bit rate streams didn't
exhibit the same problems.  Another idea - since it's taking over half an
hour to occur, maybe the counter which keeps track on how long the server
is waiting to send more data to the client is not being reset, so it slowly
creeps up to being too high.  Note that I'm not a C programmer so I haven't
looked at any code, just brainsttorming here.

Does icecast do any buffering of sources?  If so, how much?  If not, why
not?

Geoff.