[Icecast-dev] Too many open files

Christoph Zimmermann nussgipfel at gmx.ch
Sat Oct 8 20:11:45 UTC 2016

Hi Chen

You explained the problem and gave us a reasonable solution for it.
Thanks for that.

> > I am trying to stream for over 1k users on Ubuntu 16.04. I notice
> > that when
> > stream connection is over 1024, it get warning like this:
> >
> > WARN connection/_accept_connection accept() failed with error 24:
> > Too many
> > open files
[...]
> > In the end, I have to add the following line to /etc/init.d/icecast2
> >
> > ulimit -n 20000
> >
> > And I can stream over 1k users now. There is no config about ulimit
> > for
> > icecast2, and therefore, I suggest that we add something like this
> > in /etc/init.d/icecast2
>
> The mentioned file /etc/init.d/icecast2 is packaging specific, not
> part of the
> Icecast software and not really a "config file".

As Marvin sad, your solution is distribution specific. So you could try
to send your fix to the package maintainers of Ubuntu or Debian (it's
most likely that Ubuntu reuses the Debian package without modification).

For the Debian package you can report it here:
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?pkg=icecast2

> > # Check if the ULIMIT is set in /etc/default/icecast2
> > if [ -n "$ULIMIT" ]; then
> >         # Set the ulimits
> >         ulimit $ULIMIT
> > fi
> >
> > And add a /etc/default/icecast2 with the following sample config
> >
> > #  Example: ULIMIT="-n 4096"
> > #ULIMIT="-n 4096"
> >
> > I steal these from Nginx config! Anyway, what I am saying is that
> > we need a
> > config file to deal with this issue!
>
> I do not think that Icecast needs/should deal with it, it can easily
> be changed
> if necessary by the server admin and Icecast should not interfere
> with this.

Yes, the solution is easy but I guess Chen spent several ours finding
the correct solution (as he explained, he tried different methods).

A note in the documentation or somewhere else could be helpful.

---
Christoph