[Icecast-dev] Regarding GSoC 2015

"Thomas B. Rücker" thomas at ruecker.fi
Wed Mar 4 00:27:27 PST 2015

Hi,

Welcome to the Icecast developer mailing list!

On 03/04/2015 04:58 AM, Shiluka Raveen Dharmasena wrote:
> I'm Shiluka Dharmasena, 3rd year computer science and engineering
> undergraduate from University of Moratuwa, Sri Lanka. I'm interested
> to participate as a gsoc student for Xiph.Org Foundation's Icecast
> project.
>
> It's a great opportunity for me to get involved in an open source
> project and I'm keen to contribute as a developer.

That sounds great. Is this your first time to get involved in open source?
Can you tell us a bit more about yourself? What is your background in
programming? What are your favorite programming languages and
frameworks? What sort of experience beyond just programming do you have?
Have you worked with Linux systems and if so in which form?

This will help us to get to know you and help you chose the right
direction with your proposal.

> I went through the project ideas page and found the *Stream directory
> API *and*Client side for stream directory API * projects really
> interesting. Guidance on how to get start would be helpful. I'm
> looking forward to work with you all.

As a start it would probably help you to get an idea what we have
currently and hope to replace:
http://dir.xiph.org
http://dir.xiph.org/yp.xml

There is also very good work by Andreas aka ToddShepard whom you'd work
with on this:
http://dir-test.xiph.org/view
http://dir-test.xiph.org/view?genre=Jazz
As we're dealing with quite significant load (well over hundred requests
per second) this is set up to be light weight and scalable.

There are quite many existing players that integrate support for our
current yp.xml format, VLC and Kodi (formerly XBMC) to just name two.
I also did some earlier JSON experiments and there is one FirefoxOS app
that was built on that.

Also feel free to join us on freenode IRC in #icecast

Cheers

Thomas

PS: As this is a developer mailing list, we're a bit peculiar about some
things. Please try to send plain text emails to the list and not HTML.
Thanks!