[Icecast-dev] Compile Icecast under different name & file path / Icecast Error Logging

Byron Young bky at bkyoung.com
Mon Dec 14 11:22:32 PST 2015

Hi

This is really a release engineering question, not a package devel list
question. However, as I've done this a few times in different ways (with
varied results), I'm interested in both what others are doing and what
they have tried. The answer is site configuration dependent, especially
regarding deployment policies that probably require live testing use
full versioning of all binaries, libraries, docs, manpages, and required
dependencies to completely isolate the new package installation (or at
least as much as possible), and, that the package be installed using a
package manager (like RPM) for quick and complete removal (just in
case).

In the typical situation (quick test), using the package provided
configure script option --prefix=/home/ices/opt/icecast should separate
testing operations and live operations. For icecast (2.3.3 anyway), this
results in a nice package tree (that is easily removed). Depending on
other configure and runtime options, sometimes symlinks to web and admin
supporting directories, log directories and proper permissions
(especially SELINUX) need to be created and set. And, depending on the
test dependencies, runtime linking directories configured, dependent
libraries preloaded, PATH adjusted, and maybe binaries RPATH. For a
complete test, during configure, add in any distribution package build
system build options. For Fedora, that would be RPM_OPT_FLAGS and
%{optflags}, not sure about CENTOS. This avoids surprises like -O2
optimization, added by most distribution build systems, introducing a
bug.

In the simplest case (very rare) where overwriting some currently
installed supporting files is okay, the provided ./configure script
options --program-[suffix|prefix] and --program-transform-name may be
all that is required. This assumes that all the supporting files are not
being tested / changed, and only the new binary is being tested. And
both the current installed binary and test binary can use the same
supporting files.

Seasons Greetings!