[Icecast-dev] source buffer

Philipp Schafft lion at lion.leolix.org
Mon Dec 7 02:58:55 PST 2015

Good morning,

On Mon, 2015-12-07 at 01:18 +0300, Yaniv Sharon wrote:
> I will give a little background...
> For more than 10 years until now im using Shoutcast 1.9.5/1.9.8 win32
> on my machines. "What's working, d'ont touch".
>
> Now im changing to ice 2.4.2.
> The flexibility of the ice is great.
> but, because of the things that "hidden" from the eye im little bit
> afraid to make changes that will be dramatic for the listeners.
>
> So, for the beginning, at least I want to start with what I use to
> have and know to work with my machines. As the most of you guys qnow,
> the shoutcast always was "closed system". So I will try:

I think you're over complicating stuff here. Most beginners do this.
Over configurating the server and breaking it that way. The defaults of
Icecast2 are very carefully chosen and work on very wide range of
setups. Also Icecast2 is not Shoutcast. You can not directly compare
them in terms of specific settings. The engine is very different and
many concepts are very different as well.

I suggest you to set up a Icecast2 server with just defaults but changed
passwords (please do not add a <mount> or alter any other settings but
the passwords). Then set up a test stream to it and try it out yourself
and with some of your users. Test it for a few days. If you got a
specific problem in that test phase we can discuss it here and solve
that specific problem.

I think that will work better then trying to make a apple look like a
banana. You can't grow a healthy tree out of that!

Wish you a good day!

--
Philipp.
 (Rah of PH2)